i am home (for good?)
.explore.
.get updates.
every month or so, i'll send out an email with news and updates. if you want these, type in your email (i won't sell it).
.archives.
.links.

syndicate (XML)
senorjosh.comAugust 2003: → Wed. 08/20
more posts in this category: journals   |  watson
08.20.03:    |    August 2003    |    09.01.03:
«lolita death be not proud »
premature reflections
August 20, 2003
what is the point of my watson? remember the coke bottle that fell from the sky in “the gods must be crazy”? well, that’s what i expected to find. except that this time, computers would be falling, and they would be crushing totem poles and other very symbolic objects. i would use the watson, i thought, to seek out that sagacious monk on nigh precipice. this man would open his heart to me, and wistfully shake his head as he mourned the loss of traditional culture. down in the prairie, silicon valley crusaders would be hurtling mice through monastery windows.

well, i haven’t found my monk. after just three days in Cape Verde, i feel as stupid as i knew i was being all along. my romantic notions of a self-sustainabile, isolated island appear to have been figments of my outdated guidebook’s imagination. depending on when he lived, the soft-spoken monk was either imprisoned by Portuguese colonists, or forced to sunbathe by beach-bound Italians. yes, the forces of cultural globalization are clearly at work here, but computers are not to blame.

the fact of the matter is, there are very few computers to blame. for example, the only high school on the island, serving 1,800 students, has just four computers. they’re equipped with windows 95, are not connected to the internet, and can’t be used outside of class. the only other public computing facility in town was installed last year – long after the multi-million dollar windsurfing resorts started lining the beaches (see picture on right, below). apparently, those crusaders are still fighting in the more accessible regions of africa.

so, do people want computers? the answer, it seems, would be a resounding, “yes - are you stupid?” but like i said, it’s only been three days. the prevailing winds have changed, but maybe tomorrow someone will put me back on that monk’s scent.

Posted by senorjosh at August 20, 2003 04:17 PM
Comments

Josh,

This is a great site and a great way to understand and follow your project as it unfolds. Best of luck with your research. I am following it with great interest.

Richard Leary

Posted by: richard leary at August 25, 2003 08:44 PM

Josh-
had dinner with E and B last night who gave us your web information... i look forward to following you and your project and will pass along your address to my girls.
Candy

Posted by: candy at August 31, 2003 04:00 PM

Hola hijo,

It's really fun to read all your insights and outtakes. Glad to see that you've kept your sense of humor about your travels. I'm sure it will serve you in good stead, especially if that monk doesn't appear.

Great pictures! The beach looks pretty pristine to me, especially as windsurfing sites go. We'll definitely have to check it out sometime.

Love, Mom

Posted by: Mom at September 1, 2003 12:07 AM

Hi Josh:

What a great website. I would love to know how you created it and how you can add to it throughout your adventure. Also, it is a great idea to make it interactive with postings.

Reading about Cape Verde and computers certainly makes me appreciate (if a little uneasy) about the fact that we have just about as many computers in our household as they have in their entire high school.

Look forward to learn more about your travels and insights.

Best,

Bill

Posted by: Bill Falik at September 1, 2003 01:29 AM

Josh,
I'm so glad to have learned about your website and gotten a better idea of what your project is about. Somehow, I wasn't surprised that windsurfing would end up relating to computers.
Nancy

Posted by: Nancy Adler at September 1, 2003 10:10 PM

Hi Josh,
What a great web site! I look forward to following your adventures and living vicariously.
The pictures are great.